Note: This is a repost as I move and condense my multiple sites into one.
Because I have so much free time (ha!), I decided to join an online art workshop. I’m in several actually, but true to form I get distracted or bored and have trouble getting through them completely. Ever After 2016, however, is all about fairy tales. I think I can stick to that.
The first lesson was The Little Mermaid. I know the Disney version backwards and forwards thanks to my daughter’s obsession with it. My first attempt was made while watching the videos and following along as exactly as possible.
What I liked:
- The collage bits – they stand out nicely without being super distracting
- Her eyes – Tam’s eyes are amazing and I really like how I was able to get the shading and sparkle on the eyes
- The breasts – look at me getting all brave and making a bare chested mermaid…the pencil just seemed to flow during the sketch and it worked
What I didn’t like:
- Braying – I don’t know why but I don’t like covering up my background with layers of white. I get “pushing back” colors or patterns that are too vibrant, but sometimes I feel that I’ve worked hard to achieve that look and I don’t want to cover it
- Proportions – I should have made her bigger
- Face shape – It is really narrow and I’m not thrilled with it
Overall, though I’m really happy with the way it turned out. I didn’t collage her tail or outline with pencils on this one. My second attempt made up for it, but since I did the lesson from memory, I totally forgot to add the background collage. Oops.