Note: This is a repost as I am condensing all my sites down to one.
I was so excited about my first attempt that I tried again. I think I like this one better, but I’m very happy with both of them.
What I liked:
- Her hair – She’s got 80’s mermaid big hair and I love it. The color worked out great, especially with the highlights…which is amazing considering that at first you could still see my pencil sketch lines and I had to paint over them with white acrylic
- The octopus – The pink/purple combination worked fantastically and I think the shading went really well
- Layering – This time, I guess since I was expecting it, I didn’t mind doing a brayer layer…In fact, I did the background in a piecemeal color fashion hoping that the braying effect would soften it…and it did
- Her mouth – just really happy with the way it turned out this time
What I didn’t like:
- The eyes – My memory of Tam’s eyes failed utterly…I do like the shape of the left eye, but otherwise I’m unimpressed
- Shading – Again, I couldn’t remember exactly how the lesson did the facial shading…I attempted to get some of the body shading like the first one and it is ok, but not as well done
Tam does lots of little danglies in her work and I found that I liked them, but I’m not sure I will remember to add them to my own without thinking about it. I loved working with the Neocolor crayons and, though it broke my heart to cut it, the marbled paper was a great choice for the mermaid’s tail.
I’m pleased with the overall results. Now, I’m off to the next lesson…